Passion for Life, Inc, is a 501C (3) non-profit organization; we are seeking financial and accounting professionals to serve on the finance committee. As a finance committee member, you will work with a collaborative team to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to manage, maintain and document the finances and financial strategies for Passion for Life, Inc.
Estimated time commitment and meeting format
- Attend monthly meetings and participation in a bi-weekly conference call.
- Participation in Passion for Life, Inc. events, taking part in at least one Passion for Life, Inc. event of program activity per quarter.
- Estimated time commitment: 5-10 hours/ month including work from home, meeting attendance and activities as needed.
- Busiest time period: work is consistent throughout the school year
Term limit: One-year commitment
You will be expected to participate in the following:
- Development: Actively contribute to financial strategy, design of goals and objectives. Specifically assisting with the development of financial history documentation, auditing, policies and procedures.
- Lead and develop the overall control of the organization’s accounting/finance functions
- Prepare accurate and creative presentations and reports
- Prepare budget proposals of the organization regarding all items of expenditures
- Competently handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality of information according to organization’s guidelines
- Develop and take responsibility for cash management policies
- Develop annual budgets which include program and organization.
- Review and assist fundraising committee with grant reports to funders and board in a timely fashion
- Ensure that the organization financial systems are robust, compliant, and support current activities and future growth.
- Establish a high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with external parties including other committees and stakeholders
- Monitoring: Ensure continual improvement and streamlining in process to reduce time and effort for greater return. On-going individual and team capacity building in financial practices.
Skills and abilities needed to succeed as a member of the Finance Committee:
- Successful candidates will be motivated, self-starting and possess knowledge, skills and abilities to drive goals.
- Ability to compose reports and succinct updates for the board and stakeholders.
- Expertise in numbers and good math skills are important.
- Prior Finance experience in nonprofit environment a plus.
- Able to collect, evaluate and interpret data.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting and financial analysis.
- Sincere interest and/or related experience with finance, particularly in a nonprofit environment.
- Personal attributes of benefit to the Committee e.g. active contributor, responsible, team player, problem solver, creative thinker, organized etc.
- Time and energy to contribute as a member and volunteer to the Finance Committee and related tasks, events and activities.
- Personal commitment to productive participation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable working with a team and taking initiative. Demonstrated effectiveness in meetings and task forces; seen as a leader.
- Be continually aware of actions which could impact the reputation of the organization or the outcomes of the committee’s work.
This listing is a part-time job.